The University of Alberta’s north (main) campus is easy to get around – you can walk across it in about 15 – 20 minutes, or move around even quicker with a bicycle. A campus map is available online; use this tool to find the location of your courses and other events, it even shows the interior of most buildings. Should you need to go between North Campus, South Campus, and Enterprise Square, the LRT is your best option.
Specialized Support and Disability Services has a detailed list of accessible locations on campus, parking accommodation, and pick up/drop-off zones for the DATS transportation service.
Augustana Campus is located in the town of Camrose, about 100 kilometres southeast of Edmonton.
Campus St. Jean
There is a free shuttle bus between the UAlberta north campus and Campus St. Jean for all UAlberta students, staff, and faculty. You can find the bus stop between the Fine Arts Building (FAB) and the Timms Centre.
Cycling is a cheap and sustainable transportation option for many months of the year in Edmonton. Check out the following resources:
Cycling Safety & Tips
- All cyclists in Edmonton must have a helmet and bell at all times.
- It’s a good idea to have reflectors on your bike so you’re visible at night.
- Cyclists must follow the same rules as other vehicles on the road. Many car and truck drivers are not very aware of bicycles on the road, so be cautious of traffic around you.
- Bike theft can be problem, so make sure to lock up your bike securely.
Buses on many routes now have bike racks, and at certain hours of the day you can take your bike on the LRT.
Most major destinations in the Edmonton area are accessible by public transit. Bus and LRT (light rail transit) service around Edmonton are run by the Edmonton Transit System (ETS). The ETS Trip Planner can help you find a route to your destination.
- North Campus is served by the University LRT and bus station, as well as Health Sciences/Jubilee LRT station
- South Campus can be reached by LRT and bus at the South Campus station
- Enterprise Square can be reached by bus or at the Enterprise Square/Bay LRT station
- Campus Saint-Jean (Bus Stop 2576 and 2036) can be reached by bus
- Michener Park Residence (Bus Stop 2509) has excellent bus connections to South and North Campus
LRT Trains arrive every 15 minutes during the day, and every 5-10 minutes at peak hours. Most bus routes run every 15 or 30 minutes, depending on the time of day and season. Route 4 runs East-West from Lewis Estates through University Station to Bonnie Doon and Capilano. Route 9 runs North-South from Southgate Mall through Downtown to Northgate and Eaux Claires.
Check the ETS website for route changes. You can also text your bus stop number to 31100 to see when the next bus is arriving.
Renting a car
Rules and regulations vary. Check with the car rental company for details; Pogo CarShare is UAlberta’s campus car share partner.
Taxis & Vehicle Hire Services
You can hail a taxi on major streets at most times during the day or night, but a more reliable option is to call ahead to a taxi service. Taxis will charge a base rate for each ride, and the cost will increase with distance and time traveled. It is considered polite to give your driver a small tip. Some taxi companies in Edmonton include CO-OP and the Greater Edmonton Taxi Service (Yellow Cab, Prestige, and Barrel Taxi).
Services such as Uber are also active in Edmonton.